Why Your Body May Be Running Less Efficiently

healthy eating Jan 16, 2017

The lack of water can be why your body may be running less efficiently.

Water is your body's principal chemical component. It makes up approximately 65% of your weight and is involved in every type of cellular process in your body. When you’re dehydrated, they all run less efficiently and that includes your metabolism.

Think of it like your car; if you have oil, water, and gas, it will run more smoothly. It’s the same with your body. It can be difficult for the body to tell the difference between hunger and thirst. So if you’re feeling an acute sense of hunger, you might just be dehydrated.

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements.

How do you know if you’re getting enough water to keep your metabolism performing at peak efficiency? The formula used to be one size fits all, eight, 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Experts agree that has changed; they now believe it depends on your size, weight, activity level, and the climate where you live.

Generally speaking, every day you should drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water for each pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, that would be 80 to 160 ounces of water a day. If you’re living in a hot climate and exercising a lot, you will be on the higher end of that range; if you’re in a cooler climate and mostly sedentary, you will need less.

While the water you drink should make the main contribution to your daily requirements, foods that contain water may also play a role.

Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking, and the other 20% comes from food. While 20% may seem like a lot of fluid, many common food items are mostly water.

For example, a banana is about 74% water, while a pear is 84% and watermelon is 92%. The water content of many vegetables including lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and zucchini is more than 90%. Even meat, poultry and fish contribute to fluid intake. For example, flounder is 79% water, chicken 69%, extra-lean ground beef 63%, and eggs 75%.

Although difficult, it is possible to drink too much water; water toxicity is a real threat.

During exercise that results in a large amount of sweat loss drinking too much water could lead to mineral imbalances and even death. This is why sports drinks containing carbohydrates, proteins and minerals are consumed during long-duration exercise like marathons.However, for most activities drinking regular water throughout the day is enough to meet your hydration needs.

Pay close attention to fueling your body's principal chemical component regularly throughout the day. Guaranteed, you will feel energized and be ready to take on whatever your day demands of you!

I am a corporate wellness consultant. As a master yoga instructor, I support in-house wellness programs, seminars, trade shows and executive retreats. I help business leaders build and maintain physical and mental well-being. If you would like to learn more about offering a health and fitness program to your busy management team contact me at [email protected] or 386.871.0582

OPTIMAL HEALTH & WELLNESS CAN BE YOURS!

If you're searching for clear solutions and manageable strategies that will lead you to a more energetic and fulfilling lifestyle, look no further.

Receive a preview of my book Eat Like You Give A Damn FREE!

CLICK HERE TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH & WELLNESS TODAY!
Close

50% Complete

I'm Ready To Try

Yoga To Go!