Discovering The Ways Mindful Meditation Helps Cancer Patients
May 06, 2018
Coping with the reality of a cancer diagnosis and the treatments that lie ahead, you may be faced with seemingly endless challenges on your journey to health and wellness.
With the struggle to live in the present moment, more and more people are discovering the ways mindful meditation helps cancer patients decrease stress and increase psychological function.
Enhance your capacity to assuredly manage the urgency of cancer treatments and live in the present moment by learning how you can use mindfulness to start the day.
Begin with an attitude of gratitude
- Start your day with a positive attitude. Focus on things that you are grateful for; because what you focus on will become your reality. Gratitude is about being aware of what you have, rather than what you don’t. Practicing gratitude will turn what you already have into more than enough.
You have a new story to write today
- When you wake up in the morning, realize that you have the opportunity for a fresh start; you have 24 brand new hours ahead of you. Don’t allow the events of yesterday carry over into today and drag you down; vow to stay focused on the day ahead and live each new moment to the fullest.
Purposely engage your attention on your thoughts, feelings, and senses
- Comparable to the way that fitness is an approach to training the body, mindful meditation is an approach to training the mind. If you find it difficult to sit quietly and meditate in the traditional manner a productive alternative is moving meditation. Many activities can be used as an opportunity to cultivate peace and serenity; Yoga, Tai Chi, walking, dancing and playing a musical instrument are all forms of a moving meditation.
Helping you to manage your emotions, practicing mindfulness promotes inner peace. And while not a cure for cancer this is how mindfulness helps stress.
Your greatest weapon will be your power to choose one thought over another
- Stress is quite often fed and sustained by your thoughts. When facing a cancer diagnosis and impending treatments, it’s easy to let your mind wander down a negative path. Worrying about situations and problems that haven’t even occurred you must train your brain to notice your habits. It’s important to be aware of your thoughts and remember that whether they are good or bad, you have the freedom to choose your personal path.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change
- Take time to pause and reflect—call upon your wise mind—that place where your reasonable mind and emotional mind overlap, giving you greater control of the situation at hand. Approach your cancer diagnosis and treatment rationally and logically; focus your attention on solving the issue before you. Don’t allow unhealthy feelings such as fear and anxiety flood your system and sap your strength.
Living in crisis mode activates your body’s stress response
- Mindful meditation trains you to be sensitive to the needs of your physical body. Chronic stress can have a ripple effect on the body, translating emotional strain into physical pain. Studies reveal that practicing mindfulness heightens body awareness and has stress-busting benefits to your overall health. Among the many benefits, it has been shown to boost a compromised immune system and relieve pain caused by cancer treatments.
Dwelling on how things are keeps you in the vicious cycle you long to escape.
By allowing a mindful meditation practice to be your medicine you will recognize that you have a choice and start enjoying life more fully.
While you must work diligently to alter your mindset, when you can be present in the moment, surrendering to the health hurdles you face while battling cancer, you will create positive energy. Learn to shift into the present moment and begin discovering the ways mindful meditation helps cancer.
Surrender to what lies before you—it won’t always be easy—but I promise you it will be worth it.
I am a corporate wellness consultant. As a master yoga instructor, I support in-house wellness programs, seminars, trade shows and executive retreats. I help business leaders build and maintain physical and mental well-being. If you would like to learn more about offering a health and fitness program to your busy management team contact me at [email protected] or 386.871.0582
CLICK HERE TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH & WELLNESS TODAY!
OPTIMAL HEALTH & WELLNESS CAN BE YOURS!
If you're searching for clear solutions and manageable strategies that will lead you to a more energetic and fulfilling lifestyle, look no further.
Receive a preview of my book Eat Like You Give A Damn FREE!