3 Tips To Inspire Healthy Eating For A Picky Eater
Feb 04, 2018
As a rule, we generally associate finicky eating habits with toddlers and young children. The fact of the matter is, that the food choices of many adults can become limited because of their fussy nature at mealtime.
Because a lot of women and men have selective eating patterns they are often deficient in essential nutrients and aren’t getting the vitamins and minerals they need to maintain optimal health. By incorporating these three tips to inspire healthy eating for a picky eater you can make the changes necessary to cultivate enhanced wellness.
#1 Add a new food to one you already enjoy
Most adults who are picky eaters stay away from certain foods because of their texture or appearance and not because of the way the food actually tastes. Try combining the objectionable food in with something you already like.
Easy ways to increase your food choices:
- Soups, stews, and pasta sauces are a great way to add an assortment of vegetables to your choosy palate. Try adding a little at a time. Overdoing it will only set your efforts to a nutrient rich diet back several steps.
- Plain Greek yogurt offers you a protein packed base to try new fruits. Adding some fruit, a small handful of walnuts, and a drizzle of local honey to your yogurt gives you a big bang for your buck.
- Pizza and stir-fry dishes are perfect for this technique. You can put almost anything on a pizza or in Chinese food and it will taste good as long as you have they flavors and aromas you already enjoy.
#2 Eat with those that have an enthusiasm for trying new food
When you are with people you like you are more apt to pick up on their eating habits. If you see them enjoying foods that are outside of your normal diet you may find that their meal is more appealing than you originally thought.
- Try sharing a taste of what you have ordered with others and encourage them to do the same so you expose yourself to new flavors, textures, and aromas.
- Visit a restaurant that serves tapas or dim sum. Because the portion sizes of both are small you will have the opportunity to try a variety of different foods at one sitting.
- Allow yourself to be influenced by your foodie friends. Your taste buds can change over time—just because you haven’t liked something in the past doesn’t mean you still don’t. Incorporating new foods will require you to take a chance now and then.
#3 Stop overthinking the food that is in front of you
You know that your picky eating tendencies are a problem. You want to begin to make changes to improve your health, but your mind is screaming “NOOOOO, I can’t possibly eat that!” Acknowledge that you must make changes in order to discover new foods that you may enjoy.
- When you’re at a restaurant, order something from the menu that you normally wouldn’t. Try something new when you’re at a buffet, a cocktail party, or at a potluck dinner.
- Eat at least three small bites before you decide to turn your nose up to a food. It may take a bit more than just one taste to see if you really don’t like the flavor, texture or smell of a food. Give yourself a chance and if you still don’t like it then stop.
- Don’t focus so much on what a recipe has in it before you sample it. Just because it has mushrooms in it and you don’t like their texture, or celery because you don’t like the flavor doesn’t mean that you won’t enjoy it. Stop psyching yourself out before you even try it.
In order to expand your palate and discover new foods that you find delicious and nutritious make changes a little at a time. Begin your journey today by using these three tips to inspire healthy eating for a picky eater.
I am a corporate wellness consultant. As a master yoga instructor, I support in-house wellness programs, seminars, trade shows and executive retreats. I help business leaders build and maintain physical and mental well-being. If you would like to learn more about offering a health and fitness program to your busy management team contact me at [email protected] or 386.871.0582
CLICK HERE TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH & WELLNESS TODAY!
OPTIMAL HEALTH & WELLNESS CAN BE YOURS!
If you're searching for clear solutions and manageable strategies that will lead you to a more energetic and fulfilling lifestyle, look no further.
Receive a preview of my book Eat Like You Give A Damn FREE!